Brad Honnold has more than 30 years of experience trying lawsuits and managing high stake litigation throughout the country. Brad has been recognized by his peers and clients for his outstanding work ethic and everlasting advocacy on behalf of his clients. When he takes on a case, Brad’s clients acquire the benefit of his seasoned legal experience, and extensive knowledge of the law, as well as his ready sense of humor.
After graduating from the University of Iowa – College of Law, and before starting his own law firm, Brad was a partner at a large nationally known firm. He was a defense attorney from 1989 to 2004, representing hospitals, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and physicians in product liability and medical negligence litigation.
In 2005 Brad made the switch to representing plaintiffs. He, along with his friend and law partner Kirk Goza, started Goza & Honnold, LLC. After working as a defense lawyer, Brad wanted to use his expertise to represent clients who had experienced injury caused by medical malpractice. Because of his experience as a defense lawyer, Brad brings a different perspective to cases, and he felt a calling to do something different – something that would help people in their time of need.
“I really just felt a calling to do something different,” he said. “There’s something very different about dealing with a person who has been injured or harmed in some way.”
As a partner of Goza & Honnold, LLC, Brad focuses on medical negligence, pharmaceutical and prescription drugs, medical devices, and general personal injury cases. Since partnering and working on national litigations, Kirk and Brad have represented thousands of clients, including Vioxx, Bextra/Celebrex, Fleets Phospho Soda, Trans Vaginal Mesh, DePuy ASR, Zimmer Durom, Pradaxa, Fosamax, Actos, and Power Morcellator.
Brad is a member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, The Kansas Bar, The Missouri Bar, the U.S. District Court – District of Kansas, the U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri, and The Missouri Association of Trial Lawyers.
He is also a member of the plaintiff’s steering committee in the federal multidistrict litigations (MDL) for Xarelto, Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI), JUUL Inc., and 3M Military Ear Plugs, as well as a co-chair of the discovery committee for the PPI and JUUL MDLs. As a frequent speaker addressing medical malpractice, trial practice, and products liability, he is dedicated to teaching how to get the best possible outcome.
While practicing, Brad has been acknowledged by Super Lawyers in Kansas and Missouri, Best Lawyers in America, and has earned the Martindale-Hubbell AV rating for 20-plus years. He was named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Kansas City-KS and Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Kansas City-KS. He has also received awards from The Best Lawyers in America for work in Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs and Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs.
Brad is recognized by his peers as hardworking and committed to his clients. He is endorsed by his colleagues, previous and past, on his work on mass torts, trials, and class action lawsuits.
As a Kansas City resident for over 20 years, Brad spends his free time volunteering in his community. Currently, Brad is a member of and volunteers with St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, where he is a Vestry member, on the Rector Search committee, on the Stewardship committee, and is a Sunday School teacher. For nine years, Brad served as a volunteer attorney at CASA of Jackson County, Missouri. He represented court-appointed special advocate guardians for children in Jackson County, Missouri Family Court abuse and neglect cases. He was also a board member focused on fundraising and volunteer recruitment training. Brad and his staff volunteer at Project 1020 – a cold weather shelter in Olathe, Kansas. The team gathers meals and provides on-site staffing for the shelter. As Brad’s four sons were growing up, he also volunteered as a youth sports coach for Leawood Parks & Recreation, YMCA, 3&2 Baseball of Johnson, Great American Basketball League and Nall Hills Baseball.
In his free time, Brad enjoys spending time with his wife, Colleen, and their four sons – Grant, William, Walter, and John Patrick.
- Mass Tort
- Medical and Professional Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Birth Injuries
- Environmental Pollution Injuries
- Medical Device and Defective Drug Injury
- Truck, Motorcycle and Car Accidents
- Toxic Torts
- Product Liability Injuries
- Premises Liability
- Nursing Home Abuse and Negligence
- Slip and Fall Accidents
Recent Presentations and Speeches
- 90-minute Teleconference, NBI – National Business Institute
- Electron Medical Records in Medical Malpractice: Metadata and Discovery Gems
- Electronic Medical Records in Medical Malpractice Cases: Hidden Gems and Problems for Both Sides
- Medical Malpractice Law
- Wrongful Death Damages – Strategy, Evidence, and Calculations
- 90-minute Teleconference, The Knowledge Group
- The Opioid Crisis: Emerging Litigation and Insurance Issues
- Rockhurst University, Phi Delta Epsilon Pre-Med Fraternity
- An Introduction to Medical Malpractice Law and Insurance
Recent Notable Cases
- JUUL Labs, Inc., MDL No. 2913
- Appointed by Hon. William Orrick, III, District Court Judge, Northern District of California, to serve on Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, In Re JUUL Products Liability Litigation
- Proton-Pump Inhibitor, MDL No. 2789
- Brad is a co-chair of the Discovery Committee and is on the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee
- 3M Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2885
- Appointed by the Hon. M. Casey Rodgers, District Court Judge, Northern District of Florida, to serve on Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, 3M Combat Arms Ear Plug Litigation, MDL #2885
Recent Verdicts and Settlements
- $775 million settlement against Xarelto
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa, 1989
Honors: With Distinction
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1986
Honors: With Distinction
Legal Honors & Awards:
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for:
- Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Kansas City-KS (2020)
- Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Kansas City-KS (2018)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- The Missouri Association of Trial Lawyers
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
- University of Iowa Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society
- Order of Omega (Greek Honor Society)
- Delta Tau Delta Social Fraternity