(913) 451-3433
Real Lawyers For Real People

What to do After a Car Accident in Kansas City

September 10, 2021 | Car Accidents

The steps you take after a car accident in Kansas City can significantly impact the compensation you can recover. Although the crash scene can be chaotic and feel overwhelming, keep the following suggestions in mind.

Call 9-1-1

Call for help as soon as you can and report the collision. If anyone is injured, ask for medical assistance. Police officers will also arrive on the scene and create an accident report that contains facts on the crash and what they believe happened. This report is often critical when filing an insurance claim and can help prove your case. Be sure to ask the officer how you can get a copy of the report.

Collect Evidence

Photos or videos taken at the scene can provide evidence of fault and the damage that occurred. If you are not immediately transported to a hospital, stay and capture the following:

  • The positions of all vehicles involved
  • Damage to the cars and any surrounding property
  • A far away shot of the scene
  • Skid marks and any other markings on the road
  • Street signs and traffic signals
  • Any hazards, such as potholes or uneven lanes
  • Your injuries

Speak to Witnesses

If anyone nearby witnessed the car accident, ask if they would be willing to take a recorded statement, which you can do with your phone. Ask them for their name and contact information because the insurance company or your attorney may need to speak to them in the future. If they will not make a recorded statement, check if they can write down what they saw and believe happened.

Seek Medical Treatment

Be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Even if your injuries are minor, you need medical documentation for an insurance claim in case you have delayed symptoms. Some severe injuries present symptoms hours or even days later. Your medical records will also provide a direct link between any injuries you suffered to the accident. If you fail to seek timely medical care, an insurance company can argue that you were not injured in the car accident.

Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company

Call your insurance company to report the accident. Depending on your coverage, you may be able to file a claim under your policy for vehicle repairs and medical bills. They will then seek reimbursement from the at-fault party’s insurance company. If you do not have collision or comprehensive coverage, you will have to file an accident claim with the at-fault party’s insurer. However, it would be best if you speak to a car accident attorney before calling another party’s insurer. Insurance adjusters can seem friendly, but they will look for any way to devalue or invalidate your claim.

Speak To a Car Accident Lawyer

Obtaining the compensation you need to recover can be difficult on your own. A Car Accident Lawyer in Kansas City can deal with the at-fault party’s insurer for you. They can help you collect evidence to support your claim and ensure you are treated fairly.

Contact Goza & Honnold, LLC to get the compensation you deserve.