When you trust a child specialist in Kansas City, you expect the correct, effective, and adequate standard of medical care to help with any of your child’s medical needs. As with any type of other medical professional, pediatricians may also make negligent errors and decisions that may lead to the serious injury of your child.
If your child has been seriously harmed due to a pediatrician’s negligence in Kansas City, you can pursue compensation for the losses you have faced due to their mistakes. At Goza & Honnold, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars in pursuit of justice for medical malpractice victims and will tirelessly fight for the compensation you deserve.
Types of Pediatric Malpractice Cases in Kansas City
Pediatric malpractice occurs when a medical professional causes injury or harm to a child through negligence or an act of omission. In order for pediatric malpractice to be present, the at-fault pediatrician must have treated your child in a professional capacity, and their actions or medical decisions must have deviated from the standard care or treatment that another pediatrician would have provided in a similar circumstance.
The different types of pediatric malpractice claims handled by Goza & Honnold include:
- Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose your child’s medical condition
- Misreading or neglecting to order laboratory results
- Failure to order appropriate testing
- Failure to identify common symptoms of a medical condition
- Disregarding your child’s medical history
- Prescribing the wrong medication or the wrong medication dosage
- Improper follow-up instructions, inadequate aftercare, or premature discharge
- Failure to warn of known potential risks of treatment
At Goza & Honnold, we have earned the respect of opposing counsel and have been recognized through awards for our excellence in the litigation process, such as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” Medical Malpractice 2021. We have recovered upwards of millions of dollars for medical malpractice victims and work tirelessly to advocate on the behalf of clients who have suffered due to negligence.
Injuries Due to Pediatric Malpractice in Kansas City
Pediatric malpractice can cause severe harm to children because they are generally more vulnerable than adults to the smallest mistake in their medical care. Pediatricians bear a heavy weight of responsibility to ensure that they are providing an adequate standard of care because the consequences of a severe mistake or negligence can lead to serious long-term injuries and even fatality.
Injuries that may arise due to pediatric malpractice include:
- Brain injury
- Birth injury
- Respiratory conditions in newborns
- Premature birth
- Birth defects
- Allergic reactions to medications
If your child has sustained injuries or experienced wrongful death due to the negligence of a pediatrician, speak to an experienced Kansas City attorney at Goza & Honnold for an evaluation of your claim. You may be able to recover maximum compensation for the harm and suffering they have caused.
How to Prove Pediatric Malpractice in Kansas City
If your child has suffered because of Kansas City pediatric negligence, you can pursue legal action against the liable pediatrician responsible for their injuries. In order to build a successful pediatric malpractice claim, you must provide evidence of negligence in order to recover compensation for the suffering the pediatrician caused.
The four elements of negligence you must prove in your pediatric malpractice claim include:
- The pediatrician owes you a reasonable duty of care: Like other medical professionals, pediatricians owe a duty of care to patients under their medical supervision.
- The pediatrician violated their duty of care through an act of negligence or failure to act: The pediatrician violated their duty of care by providing substandard treatment and medical care that would have been otherwise handled differently by another physician in a similar circumstance.
- Their violation directly caused your child’s injury or fatality: By taking negligent or careless actions, the pediatrician directly caused your child’s injuries or fatality. You must prove that had another doctor been the treating physician, the same actions would not have been taken.
- You sustained damages due to their breach of duty of care: You sustained economic and noneconomic damages due to their breach of duty of care. This may include past and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and others.
With the help of experienced Kansas City pediatric malpractice lawyers, they can help obtain evidence to prove elements of negligence. Your medical records, witness testimony, paystubs, correspondence, and other key factors may prove your right to compensation.
Pediatric malpractice claims may be complex and require the skilled assessment and resources of the pediatric malpractice attorneys at Goza & Honnold. Lawyers can help prove causation and that another practicing physician may have acted differently in a similar circumstance.
Contact Kansas City Pediatric Malpractice Attorneys at Goza & Honnold Today
If your child has suffered due to pediatrician negligence in Kansas City, speak to the skilled pediatric malpractice attorneys at Goza & Honnold for a comprehensive evaluation of your claim. We will thoroughly investigate your malpractice claim and work with you to determine liability to recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
At Goza & Honnold, we have decades of experience fighting for victims affected by pediatric malpractice in Kansas City and aggressively advocate for the justice they deserve for the losses they have suffered. Schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our skilled medical malpractice attorneys by calling our office at (913) 451-3433, or you can fill out a contact form.