Kansas City Medical Malpractice Attorneys Handling Birth Injury Cases
Every new parent’s worst nightmare is discovering that your newborn infant has suffered a birth injury. When this happens, you may be shocked, stressed, and overwhelmed. It is difficult to determine what you should do next. It is important to speak with a birth injury lawyer and learn what rights and remedies are available to you. This is not a process you should have to face alone.
The birth injury attorneys At Goza & Honnold, LLC understand that this is an extremely emotional time. We are here to guide you through the process, helping you decide if, how, and importantly, when you may want to proceed and what damages to seek. Contact us today and let us help you recover compensation for your child’s birth injury.
Why Choose Us
- Our attorneys have decades of experience representing thousands of clients in their injury claims, including complex birth injury lawsuits.
- Our firm understands how difficult a birth injury can be. We will take the time to listen empathetically to your child’s story and work to secure the best possible outcome for your family.
- Our track record speaks for itself. We have recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, helping them on their path to recovery.
Helping Your Through a Difficult Time With Compassion and Conviction
We are here to focus on the legal process so you can focus on helping your child recover from a birth injury. We believe it is our duty to make sure medical professionals are held accountable for their actions when they have breached their duty of care to a patient, especially a child. Our Kansas City medical malpractice attorneys have experience handling all types of birth injury cases, including:
- Delivery injuries related to the use of forceps
- Oxygen deprivation, hypoxia
- Shoulder dystocia and other types of nerve damage
- Erb’s palsy
- Cerebral palsy and other forms of brain damage
- Complications from cesarean sections (c-sections) and vaginal deliveries including bruises, broken bones, fractures
- Group 5 strep and other infections contracted during a hospital stay
- Failure to properly read reassuring/non-reassuring heart rate strips resulting in fetal distress complications upon delivery
We believe a thorough investigation and aggressive approach is the best way to hold negligent parties responsible, prove medical malpractice, and recover damages. We will employ experts to evaluate medical records for errors in treatment and interview everyone who was involved in your child’s delivery that led to the birth injuries. We will pursue your case all the way to trial, if necessary, seeking the maximum compensation possible.
Common Causes of Birth Injuries
When preparing for the arrival of your new baby, you trust that the nurses, obstetricians, and other medical professionals supervising labor and delivery will provide the care that you and your child need. Unfortunately, not all medical professionals uphold their duty of care to their patients.
The labor and delivery process is especially sensitive, and delivery room personnel have a responsibility to make sure that mother and baby are safe. Many acts of negligence can occur before, during, and after birth, including the following.
- Failure to monitor for signs of fetal distress
- Failure to order a necessary cesarean section
- Improper use of dangerous birthing techniques, such as forceps or vacuum
- Improper use of Pitocin or other labor-inducing drugs
- Failure to properly monitor the mother during labor
Legal Options for Birth Injury Victims
If a medical professional’s negligence led to your child’s injury, you could file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the at-fault party. Any medical professional who provided care to you or your child can be liable for a birth injury, including nurses, surgeons, obstetricians, and anesthesiologists.
Through a medical malpractice lawsuit, you can recover compensation for all damages related to your child’s birth injury. This includes economic damages, or financial losses, as well as non-economic damages, also known as pain and suffering. Common damages in Missouri birth injury claims include the following.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of future earnings
- Live-in caregivers
- Disability accommodations
- Physical therapies and rehabilitation
- Chronic pain
- Loss of quality of life
How to Prove a Kansas City Birth Injury Lawsuit
To secure compensation in a birth injury lawsuit, but you will need to prove that the at-fault medical professional’s actions caused your child’s injuries.
You will need to gather evidence to prove the four elements of negligence:
- Duty: The at-fault medical professional must owe your child a duty of care, meaning that he or she must have provided care in a professional capacity. If the injury occurred while you were receiving medical care at a hospital or clinic and the at-fault party was part of your medical team, he or she will owe a duty of care.
- Breach: The at-fault party breached his or her duty of care through a negligent act or omission. In medical malpractice cases, you must prove that the at-fault medical professional acted in a way that a similarly trained and reasonable professional would not have done under the same circumstances.
- Causation: You must prove that the at-fault party’s act of negligence directly caused your child’s birth injuries. Since this element requires scientific evidence, the attorneys at Goza & Honnold, LLC can enlist the help of expert witnesses who can review your child’s medical records and provide testimony to establish causation.
- Damages: Your child and your family suffered damages due to the birth injury that you can recover compensation for in your lawsuits. You can use many pieces of evidence to prove damages, including medical bills, pay stubs, and journal entries.
Kansas City Birth Injury Lawyers
Contact us to discuss the circumstances of your birth injury claim. We offer a free initial consultation to listen to your case and explain what options are available for recovery.
We encourage you to learn more about the cases and results we have achieved for families who have received our help with a birth injury case.