Dogs are one of the most popular pets in Missouri. While these animals provide companionship, they can also be extremely dangerous. Each year, many Kansas City residents sustain serious injuries from dog bites, including permanent scarring, facial disfigurement, and life-threatening infections.
If you are the victim of a dog bite, you could hold the owner accountable for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. Goza & Honnold, LLC are Kansas City Personal Injury attorneys who represent injured Kansas City residents in their dog bite claims against these owners. We will advocate aggressively to recover the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Us
- Dog bites can result in serious, painful injuries. Our Kansas city dog bite attorneys will use their decades of personal injury experience to connect you with the help you need.
- We have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients. We will work diligently to achieve maximum compensation and support your path to recovery.
- We believe that effective representation requires integrity and professionalism. We have earned the respect of opposing attorneys and strive for excellence in our client services.
You should not have to pay out of pocket for injuries you sustained through no fault of your own. Our dog bite lawyers in Kansas City can help you recover compensation through a renter’s, homeowners’, or commercial insurance policy.
Missouri’s Dog Bite Statute
In the United States, dog bite laws typically fall into one of two categories: strict liability and the one-bite rule. In states that follow the one-bite rule, a dog’s first bite or instance of violent behavior is exempt from liability. If an owner knew his or her animal has a history of bites and attacks and the animal later bites someone, the owner will be financially responsible for the victim’s damages.
Missouri is a strict liability state for dog bites. Under Missouri Revised Statutes section 273.036.1, a dog owner is financially responsible for a bite victim’s damages if the following circumstances apply.
- The victim suffered an injury from the dog bite.
- The victim was on public property or lawfully on private property at the time of the attack.
- The victim did not provoke the dog to attack.
What to Do After a Dog Bite in Kansas City
Dog attacks can be very dangerous, and it is important to get to safety as soon as possible. After getting to a safe place as quickly as possible, take the following steps to protect yourself and preserve evidence.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Dog saliva may contain dangerous bacteria that can lead to infection, and your medical records will provide valuable evidence for your future claim.
- Perform first aid if you can. Wash the wound with warm water and mild soap, apply an antibiotic cream, and wrap it in a sterile bandage.
- Document evidence. Take as many pictures of your visible injuries as possible. If you can safely photograph the animal and the attack scene, take pictures from multiple angles. Save any physical evidence, such as clothing, that you can use.
- Collect contact information from the dog’s owner. If there are witnesses in the area, ask for their contact information as well.
After you seek medical attention, contact a dog bite attorney in Kansas City, Missouri. Dog bite claims can be difficult to handle alone, and the owner may claim that you were trespassing or provoked the dog to attack. Your lawyer can protect your right to compensation and support you on your path to recovery.
Are You the Victim of a Kansas City Dog Bite? Contact a Dog Bite Injury Lawyer Today.
Dog bites can lead to serious, painful injuries, permanent scarring, and emotional trauma. If you are the victim of a dog attack in Kansas City, the dog bite injury attorneys at Goza & Honnold, LLC can help. We represent dog bite victims in their claims against owners, advocating aggressively for the compensation they need to recover.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our dog bite lawyers.