The spinal cord is responsible for transferring messages from our brain to the rest of the body. Any spinal cord injury can result in permanent, life-altering complications—including permanent paralysis, loss of body function, and loss of quality of life. If you suffer a spinal cord injury in Kansas City due to someone else’s negligence, Goza & Honnold, LLC can help.
Our Kansas City spinal cord injury lawyers can represent you in a personal injury claim against the person responsible for your damage. We have the skills, experience, and resources necessary to hold the at-fault party accountable and secure the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Us
- Our firm has successfully obtained tens of millions of dollars through trial and settlement. Your lawyer will always advocate for your maximum possible recovery.
- Our attorneys will take the time to listen to your story with an empathetic ear and answer any questions you may have throughout the process.
- Our attorneys have earned the respect of opposing counsel and our peers. We have received some of the most prestigious trial and litigation awards.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury occurs when any of the nerves along the spinal cord or the spinal cord itself experience damage. These injuries often result in permanent disabilities, such as loss of sensation, changes in strength, and loss of movement below the injury site.
The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center compiles data on the leading causes of spinal cord injuries each year. According to its 2020 fact sheet, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injury, comprising 38.6% of all cases since 2015.
Other leading causes include the following.
- 32.2% of spinal cord injuries occurred due to falls.
- Acts of violence, such as gunshot wounds, caused 14% of spinal cord injuries.
- 7.8% of spinal cord injury victims sustained their injuries while playing sports.
- Medical and surgical events contributed to 4.2% of spinal cord injuries.
Damages for Kansas City Spinal Cord Injury Victims
If you sustained a spinal cord injury, you may be eligible for financial compensation. Under Missouri law, you could file a personal injury lawsuit against the person responsible for the accident that caused your injury. These claims allow spinal cord injury victims to recover compensation for their accident-related losses, including the following:
- All past and future medical expenses related to the spinal cord injury, including prescription medications, hospitalizations, and surgeries.
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings, if the injury prevents you from returning to work.
- Rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other supplemental treatments.
- Property damage you sustained in the accident, including vehicle repairs.
- Physical pain and suffering, such as chronic pain and permanent disability.
- Emotional pain and suffering, such as mental anguish, loss of quality of life, and the development of mental health conditions.
To be eligible for this compensation, someone else’s negligent actions must have directly caused your accident. For example, a driver who ran a red light and crashed into your vehicle would be liable for any injuries you sustained due to his or her actions. A negligent landlord who fails to repair a dilapidated porch for months may be liable if the structure collapses under you. To determine whether you have grounds for a claim, speak to a Kansas City personal injury lawyer at Goza & Honnold, LLC.
Contact a Kansas City Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Are you suffering from a spinal cord injury? The Kansas City spinal cord lawyers at Goza & Honnold, LLC can help. We can represent you in your lawsuit against the person responsible for your injury, helping you recover the compensation you need to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
Contact us today to discuss your case and legal options.